And Finally Artist News

Spice Girls reunion called off

By | Published on Tuesday 5 July 2016

The Spice Girls

This Friday marks the 20th anniversary of the release of the Spice Girls’ debut single ‘Wannabe’. And what better way for the group to mark this occasion than by calling off plans for a reunion now and forever?

As previously reported, Mel B said in a number of interviews last year that she was hoping to get the group back together to do “something” around the 20th anniversary. The Sun also reported that all members except Victoria Beckham were signed up, though mostly they denied that this was the case.

The next twist in the tale came when Mel B said on ‘America’s Got Talent’ that the plans had been pushed back to 2017, because it had taken so long to organise anything all the decent venues were now fully booked for 2016. And now the reunion doesn’t seem to be happening at all.

A source told The Mirror: “Mel C has been telling friends it’s not happening – not for the anniversary and not next year. She’s not interested in revisiting the band, and neither is Victoria. Their decision has made it impossible for the other three to go ahead with plans to tour again. They know it wouldn’t be quite the same to get on stage as a threesome”.

“Doing it without Victoria would have been a shame but might have been a possibility”, added the source, which is a fair point. “But two missing is too many. The Spice Girls’ last reunion worked because it was all five of them and they gave their fans what they wanted. This feels a bit more like it would be cheating the fans, and none of them want to do that”.

But worry not, there’s still the promise that ‘Viva Forever’ might one day return.



READ MORE ABOUT:

SIGN UP GO PREMIUM CMU NEWS CMU DAILY CMU DIGEST CMU TRENDS SETLIST