Artist News Business News Deals Digital Gigs & Festivals Industry People Labels & Publishers Live Business One Liners Releases
One Liners: RIAA, Björk, Sufjan Stevens, more
By Andy Malt and Chris Cooke | Published on Tuesday 4 April 2017
Other notable announcements and developments today…
• The boss of the Recording Industry Association Of America, Cary Sherman, will step down at the end of 2018 it’s been announced. He will be succeeded by the trade group’s public policy guy Mitch Glazier, who has been promoted to the role of President in the meantime.
• The digital rights licensing body for independent music publishers, IMPEL, has announced the results of its 2017 board elections, with the following now on said board: John Minch (Imagem), Simon Platz (Bucks), Nigel Elderton (Peermusic), Chris Butler (Music Sales), John Truelove (Truelove Music), Mike Box (Reservoir/Reverb), Roberto Neri (Downtown) and Peter Thomas (Carlin).
• Live music giant AEG has teamed up with Brooklyn Sports And Entertainment to buy New York venue Webster Hall. The Bowery Presents, into which AEG bought earlier this year, will continue as main booker for the venue.
• Björk has released the VR video for ‘Notget’ from her ‘Vulnicura’ album.
• Sufjan Stevens is releasing a live album from his ‘Carrie & Lowell’ tour on 28 Apr. Here’s a video of the title track.
• Vérité has released new single, ‘When You’re Gone’. Her debut album, ‘Somewhere In Between’, is set for release on 23 Jun.
• Alxxa has released a new track, ‘Pistol’.
• James Arthur, who we’ve apparently all decided is OK now, is going on an arena tour in November.
• Loyle Carner has announced UK and Ireland tour dates for September and October this year, including a Brixton Academy show on 6 Oct.