Artist News Gigs & Festivals

Nothing But Thieves deny sexual assault allegations, as NME cancels show tonight

By | Published on Thursday 16 November 2017

Nothing But Thieves

Sony-signed band Nothing But Thieves have denied sexual assault claims made against their keyboard player, Dom Craik. Their statement came after NME cancelled the band’s headline performance at the NME Awards 2018 launch party at Tape London tonight.

Allegations were made against Craik on Twitter earlier this week, with the alleged victim claiming that the musician pinned her against a wall by her throat and forcibly kissed her shortly after they met at a Pvris gig in 2015.

She also posted screengrabs of a messaging app conversation that allegedly took place with two members of the Nothing But Thieves crew a year later, who seem to play down the incident. One notes that Craik was “wasted” that night, the other that he might have been “on the old sniff”, which, they seemed to suggest, would account for his actions.

As the accusations gained more attention, the NME issued a statement yesterday confirming that the band had been dropped from tonight’s show, saying: “NME has been made aware of a number of allegations that have been made on social media against the band Nothing But Thieves and we have therefore taken the decision to cancel the show that the band were scheduled to play for us”.

The support act on the band’s current tour, July Talk, also pulled out of upcoming shows. They said in a statement: “While we’ve had a great time on the tour, we can no longer participate due to accounts we’ve read online of misconduct”.

In their own statement, Nothing But Thieves denied the claims made against Craik, adding that they are now considering legal action.

“We were advised not to address the false allegations and give them unwarranted attention”, said the band. “But this has been so distressing and damaging, we can no longer sit idly by. We want you to know that we 100% deny any wrongdoing in the false allegations brought against us”.

Nothing But Thieves released their second album, ‘Broken Machine’, in September, it going to number two in the UK album chart. A show at Southampton’s Guildhall venue last night went ahead as planned. Their two night run at The Roundhouse in London on Friday and Saturday is also still listed on the venue’s website.



READ MORE ABOUT: | |

SIGN UP GO PREMIUM CMU NEWS CMU DAILY CMU DIGEST CMU TRENDS SETLIST