Artist News Legal

Kidnapping and rape charges against Decapitated dropped

By | Published on Wednesday 10 January 2018


Prosecutors have dropped all charges against Decapitated, shortly before a kidnapping and rape case against the death metal band was due to go to trial on 16 Jan.

As previously reported, the band were arrested in LA in September, accused of raping a woman on their tour bus following a performance in Spokane, Washington on 31 Aug.

Two women alleged that they were invited back to the band’s bus after the show, but that once on board the “vibe” changed. One woman managed to get off the bus, while the other says that she was raped by all four members of the metal outfit. They all pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnap and rape.

According to the Spokesman-Review, the prosecution dropped all charges on Friday last week, saying that a potentially lengthy trial was not in the best interests of the band’s accuser. The band and their legal team, meanwhile, have claimed that new evidence would have caused too much doubt with regards the case against the group.

“This has been traumatising to her”, prosecutor Kelly Fitzgerald told the judge of the toll the case had already taken on the alleged victim. “It’s obviously something that is a multiple defender case, and it would be a lengthy trial. We’ve discussed with her and her advocates and feel at this time it’s best for her to heal”.

InĀ a statement, the band said: “New evidence arose that helped show that the band was innocent. While a trial would have given the band the opportunity to have all this evidence heard, the band welcome the decision and are excited to return back to their homes in Poland”.

All four band members had been released from prison in December on the condition that they stayed within Washington State. To that end, their passports were confiscated by the court. But they are now free to travel back to Poland.