Artist News Legal

Gene Simmons denies accusations of sexual misconduct in new lawsuit

By | Published on Tuesday 19 December 2017

Gene Simmons

Gene Simmons has “vigorously” denied accusations of sexual misconduct made in a new lawsuit brought against him by an unnamed journalist.

The woman, listed as ‘Jane Doe’ on the lawsuit, says that the Kiss bassist made “several aggressive, unwanted sexual advances” during an interview in November, despite “active and clear discouragement”.

Simmons was, according to the legal papers, being interviewed to promote the opening of a new Rock & Brews restaurant in San Bernadino, California – a chain of which he is a co-owner. The entire incident was captured on video, it adds, with several witnesses also in attendance.

It is claimed that Simmons made repeated attempts to grab the interviewer’s hand as they spoke and “turned standard interview questions into sexual innuendo” throughout their conversation. He is also alleged to have “forcibly flicked/struck plaintiff Doe in the throat”, at which point she attempted to terminate the interview.

His accuser is seeing undisclosed damages and requests a jury trial.

In a statement to Ultimate Classic Rock, Simmons says: “I intend to defend myself against any alleged charges you may have been reading about in the media”.

He goes on: “For the record, I did not assault the person making these accusations in the manner alleged in the complaint or harm her in any way. I am conferring with my lawyers with the aim of vigorously countering these allegations. And I look forward to my day in court where the evidence will prove my innocence”.

As previously reported, Simmons was recently banned from Fox News following an incident in which it is claimed he acted inappropriately towards female employees at the broadcaster. He denied those allegations.



READ MORE ABOUT:

GET CMU NEWS BY EMAIL DAILY FIND OUT ABOUT UPCOMING CMU EVENTS