CMU’s One Liners: Universal, Ed Sheeran, Of Mice And Men, more
By Andy Malt | Published on Thursday 5 January 2017
Other notable announcements and developments today…
• Universal Music Japan has signed a deal to represent the recordings and publishing catalogue of management company Office Augusta, including work by popular Japanese acts such as Kyoko and Motohiro Hata. “We are THRILLED to join forces with Office Augusta”, says UMG boss Uncle Luci Grainge.
• Edward Sheeran will co-host the Radio 1 Breakfast Show tomorrow, because he’s got some new songs to sing for you. Assuming Princess Beatrice doesn’t finish what she started last year and behead poor Ed this evening. Though that would make for a better news story.
• Of Mice And Men have announced that frontman Austin Carlile has left the group, due to ongoing health issues, related to rare connective tissue disorder Marfan syndrome.
• Rejoice! St Vincent is going to release a new album this year. “I think it’ll be the deepest, boldest work I’ve ever done”, she told Guitar World.
• The xx have released a new single, ‘Say Something Loving’.
• Run The Jewels released their third album, ‘RTJ3’, as a free download over the Christmas break. Grab it here.
• Jenny Hval has released a video for ‘The Great Undressing’ from her latest album ‘Blood Bitch’. “I was intrigued by what would happen if you watched a naked woman totally ignorant about her own nudity going about a normal day”, says director Marie Kristiansen. “Would she be perceived as a sexual object? Or would her nakedness and femininity become something ordinary and natural?”
• There are rumours that The KLF are reforming to mark their 30th anniversary after the publication of this video on YouTube.