Artist News Business News Deals Gigs & Festivals Industry People Labels & Publishers One Liners Releases
CMU’s One Liners: David Bowie, U2, Flaming Lips, more
By Andy Malt and Chris Cooke | Published on Monday 9 January 2017
Other notable announcements and developments today…
• Julien Baker has signed to Matador, which will give her 2015 debut album ‘Sprained Ankle’ a physical release on 17 Mar. She’s also made available the previously unreleased ‘Funeral Pyre’ and announced UK live shows at Bush Hall in London on 5 Jun and Manchester’s Deaf Institute on 6 Jun.
• Nigel Elderton off of Peer Music has been appointed as the new Chairman of collecting society PRS For Music, taking over from the departing Guy Fletcher.
• A new EP of previously unreleased David Bowie material has been released to mark what would have been his 70th birthday, which comes just before the first anniversary of his death, of course. Titled ‘No Plan’, here’s the title track.
• The Flaming Lips have released the lyric video for new single ‘We A Famly’, which features that Miley Cyrus. New album ‘Oczy Mlody’ is out on 13 Jan.
• Band-Maid have announced that they will release their new album, ‘Just Bring It’, on 10 Feb. From it, this is ‘YOLO’.
• After a year out of public view, Akai Koen have announced their return with new single ‘Yamiyo Ni Chouchin’, the theme tune for new Japanese drama series ‘Rental No Koi’.
• U2 will mark the 30th anniversary of their ‘Joshua Tree’ album by performing it in full at dates around the world this year, including at Twickenham Stadium in London on 8 Jul and Dublin’s Croke Park on 22 Jul. “It’s quite an opera”, says Bono, modestly, of the album.